(Strawberry picking at Braehead Farms)
In the month of November it is so hard to not focus on the areas in which we are grateful, so this post will be a bit more personal than the other Parks & Rec posts I have written.
Seven months ago I took a chance on a new job in a new place that would involve me moving for the 3rd time in 5 years. It was the type of job I had been searching for since I graduated from college but being from Northern Virginia, I thought that I wouldn't be able to really flourish in a small town like Fredericksburg. Boy was I wrong...
As I drove back and forth during the interviewing process, I started to fall in love with the charm of downtown Fredericksburg. It was small, quaint, and artistic. I was keeping my fingers crossed that Parks and Rec would accept me so I could be in a place where I felt I could lay down some roots. My offer letter came through in early April and I couldn't have been happier. My boyfriend and I packed up our little apartment outside of Quantico Marine Base where he is stationed and made our move to "The Burg." From living walking distance to downtown to enjoying the Farmers Market on a regular basis and having five minute commute versus the 2-3 hour one I was used to, I welcomed the opportunity to finally breath, enjoy life, and focus on what made me happy instead of just living in that day-to-day DC commuter grind.
Planning events for the City and meeting so many wonderful people has been such fun! I love being able to see participants from our programs out and about and being able to address them by name. Or seeing people that I am meeting in my career around town and making plans to meet for a brainstorming session. I am able get away from my desk to develop relationships, I am able to blog for Fredericksburg Parent, I get to test out new potential classes and events to make sure you all would like it, I really just get to do it all. Best of all, I am able to still focus on myself and my family...oh and I can wear jeans to work!
I am so very grateful for what Fredericksburg has offered me and I am looking forward to what's to come. Being the Special Event & Marketing Coordinator for Parks & Rec lets me take what YOU want to see or do and put it into motion. I am able to take an idea, put my own creative spin on it and bring it to you to enjoy. This is the type of job I've always been meant to have and I am just so very grateful that the City saw the same thing. I have a ton of ideas myself and I plan on cranking it up full throttle so we can keep you excited and engaged in what we are doing. So please, if there is something we AREN'T doing that you would like us to, let me know personally! Let me see what I can do with YOUR idea. With that being said, don't miss out on some upcoming family fun in November!
• 11/21 Turkey Trek - Pre-registration required. Ages 4-6yrs. Held at the Motts Run Nature Center from 10am-11am. $8 per child.
• 11/23 Nature Crafts for Christmas - Pre-registration required. Ages 7-16yrs. Held at the Motts Run Nature Center from 10am-12am. $12 per child. Adults free with paying child.
• 12/1 – 12/2 NYC Bus Trip
• 12/12 Log Cabin Bedtime Stories - Pre-registration required. Come in your pajamas! Ages 4-7yrs. Held at the Motts Run Nature Center from 6:30pm-7:30pm. $8 per person.
• 12/14 Story time & breakfast with Santa – Pre-registration required. Ages 2-12yrs. Held at the Dorothy Hart Community Center from 10am-11am. $6 per child. Adults free with paying child.
• 12/17 Mormon Temple Bus Trip
• 12/ 19 Christmas Craft – Pre-registration required. Ages 3-5yrs. Held at the Dorothy Hart Community Center from 10am-11am. $5 per child.
• 12/31 First Night Fredericksburg – Family Friendly. Downtown on Caroline and Sophia Sts. 7pm-12:30pm. $5 in advance, $8 at the door.