I don't know about you but it seems like one day I am pulling out my parka and toboggan, the next day I am cracking the windows in the house. If winter is upon us, I would just like to dive right in because my body is tired of catching random colds.
But winter is always a tough season to stay active, both physically and in the community. You don't want to leave the warmth of your home, you would rather keep the kiddos in than pile on the layers to bundle them up for the cold, and your gym membership probably collects a little dust. I know my own Crossfit membership hasn't been used in the last month because with it getting dark at 5pm when I get off work, my body thinks it is bed time and is ready to shut down.
But we can't do that to ourselves or our families! We have to make sure everyone stays moving. The health benefits far outweigh the short-term "convenience" of inactivity. Activity keeps us happy so we beat the winter blues, keeps the blood going, and...well you get my point! Don't hole yourself up in the house just because it's cold! Parks & Rec has plenty going on for the family and we keep the heat on!
- Thursday, December 12 - Log Cabin Bedtime Stories (previously known as Gingerbread Storytime)
- Grab the kids (ages 4-7yrs), put them in their favorite PJ's and head over to the log cabin at Motts Run for some bedtime stories. We'll read about who is awake at night in the woods, sip hot chocolate and make a log cabin craft. 6:30-7:00 P.M. $8 per child. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
- Saturday, December 14 - Story Time & Breakfast with Santa
- Bring the whole family for breakfast, crafts, and story time with the jolly man himself, Santa Claus! He will be spreading Christmas cheer at the Dorothy Hart Community Center and Fred Parent will be helping with holiday crafts! There will also be a staging area so that you are able to bring your camera and capture some special memories of your kid(s) with Santa. 10am-11:15. $6 per child. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
- Thursday, December 19 - Christmas Crafting
- Join your little one as they create a fun Christmas craft at the Dorothy Hart Community Center! We will have light refreshments on hand and all the supplies to get into the holiday spirit! Adults are free with a paying child. 10am-11:10am. $6 per child. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
- Thursday, December 19 - Winter Catalog Hits the Streets!
- There are several ways you can get your own copy – Pick a copy up at the Dorothy Hart Community Center, view it online or depending on your zipcode you will get it in your Free Lance-Star or Star Weekly. We have a summer camp preview, kids' cooking classes, new kids art classes and lots of fun at Motts Run! In an effort to get our teenagers engaged, we have put together "Teen Time Outside" activities where teenagers will hang out with their peers and learn a useful outdoor skill such as fire building.
- Tuesday, December 31 - First Night Fredericksburg 2014
- Sophia St will never be the same! We have some new and exciting attractions for you, including a Monster Truck Ride, new music venues, and a ton of family fun to ring in the New Year! Stay up to date on all of the entertainment at http://fredericksburgfirstnight.com/ or on Facebook.
- Purchase your admission buttons ONLINE today, $5 in advance, $8 on-site. You make also purchase them at the Dorothy Hart Community Center or Gravatt Entertainment.
We look forward to seeing you this winter! Happy Holidays to you and yours!