Alright, ladies, it's time to get serious about your closet, specifically about what you have and what you don't. After reading Donna Karan's recent Top 5 List (featured in this month's issue of Lucky Magazine), which includes a yellow dress (does she know how many women dislike the color yellow?), and a belt bag (seriously? I don't even like these things at Disney World), I've compiled, edited and organized my own list of the top 5 pieces every woman should have in her closet. Don't fret, if you don't have something, I provide ideas on where to get it.
1. A Crisp White Button-Down Shirt. It's #1 for a reason! It literally goes with everything, is season-less, and adds a touch of polish to any outfit. If you can, invest in a non-wrinkle version. Don't get too creative and buy one with ruffles (that reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, I digress...), cutouts, fancy buttons, or bell sleeves. Just stick to the classic. I love it casual with worn-in denim capris, and dressy underneath a simple sheath (and everything in between). I promise, you will wear this all the time. Where to shop? I suggest J Crew, Banana Republic, The Limited, or Marshall's.
2. Black Boot Cut Trousers. I prefer a classic fit in a season-less fabric. This is a no-brainer. Everyone needs black pants. At last count, I have over 15 pairs of these bad boys, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Please, please, please pay attention to the length. This is my biggest pet peeve, and can instantly cost you cool points. If you plan to wear with heels, then buy them long enough to just skim the floor with your heels on. Buy a shorter length to wear with flats. Where to shop? Try New York & Company, The Limited, or Express (all 3 stores offer various fits and lengths and last forever).
3. LBD (little black dress). It doesn't get any classier than the LBD. Wear it with a cardi and pearls or a blazer and a scarf. Transition right into dinner and cocktails by losing the cardi (or the blazer) and adding a clutch and heels. Done and done. Where to shop? I suggest White House Black Market, Loft, or Ross.
4. A soft cardigan. Pick one in super soft cotton with full sleeves. Make sure it's fitted, but not too snug. I'd either go for a classic neutral or a fun pop of color. I always have one in the car or in my purse! Try adding a skinny belt over the cardi for an updated look. Where to shop? Try Old Navy, Express, or Macy's.
5. A layering white t-shirt or white tank. I wear one almost every day. Tip: when you find one you love, stock up. Perfect for sheer tops or adding extra layers. Love 'em under a loose blazer. Where to shop? I swear by Old Navy's "Tami" (a perfect cross between a tank and a cami), and a true bargain at under $10.00!
So, get out your sharpie and start checking your list. Need help shopping or editing your closet? Check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/yourfashionexpert or on the web at www.yourfashionexpert.net. Until next time, dress like you mean it!