(Mimi Dempsey (left), her daughter (center) and friends hiking in Fredericksburg)
Nature Education Assistant Mimi Dempsey is a huge proprietor of the outdoor spaces here in Fredericksburg and why wouldn't she be, look at her title! When her four girls were little, they would go canoeing and explore the wetlands and trails at Dixon Park. Now, Mimi enjoys biking and hiking the Rappahannock Heritage Trail in her spare time. If anyone knows how to take advantage of our outdoor spaces, it's Mimi! She has prepared this list of FREE activities to enjoy with your family this fall.
FREE outdoor family-oriented activities:
• Hike, stroll, run, bike the Rappahannock Heritage Trail
• Visit one of our amazing parks - Dixon, Old Mill, Kenmore, Alum Spring, Motts Run and have a picnic
• Play on our fabulous playgrounds sprinkled throughout the City like Kenmore, Maury, and Old Mill playgrounds
• Visit the Motts Run Nature Center (open Sat.- Sun noon to 5 pm, April-Oct.)
• Take a hike at historical Alum Spring Park
• Observe fossils in the amazing sandstone cliffs at Alum Spring Park
• Hike one of five wooded trails at Motts Run
• Go on a frog hunt at the lake shore at Motts Run
• Try your hand at orienteering at Motts. Compasses and maps are loaned for free while the Nature Center is open, or bring your own and give it a go anytime. Maps are also available online.
Mike Ward, Division Manager of Parks & Athletics, wanted to give you a few updates on our parks before you plan your family fun!
- We will be changing over to our Winter Park Hours beginning November 1. Our gated parks (Alum Spring, Dixon and Old Mill Park) are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the winter months.
- Motts Run Reservoir will be closing for the season at the end of October.
- The Canal Path and Heritage Trails remain extremely popular; please remember that there are many other users of the trails, so stay on your side, and be aware of users coming up from behind you.
- Our Smoke Free Initiative is in place! Signs have been erected in parks and near playgrounds asking users not to smoke within 50 feet of all playgrounds and athletic facilities.
Are you done reading this post? Then grab a sweater and the family to go enjoy some good ol' fashioned fun outdoor recreation and fresh air! Maybe play tag or hide and seek with the kids and top it off with a picnic lunch!